On a recent flight I realized too late that I had not downloaded my writing assignment for that week's class, so instead I decided to organize my current list of projects. Once that was complete (and it really helped to have all the detail information in a spreadsheet) I added another sheet to list my current client relationships. Sure I use Outlook for all my contacts but having them in a spreadsheet along side my projects list makes them special. It means my clients and contacts for work will not get lost in the clutter of my Outlook contact list.

I then added another sheet to list out current revenue forecasts for proposed, sold, and billed work. This really helped clarify in my mind several things.

  1. It gave me a revenue goal to work towards. Instead of just selling and billing then selling again, I was able forecast out for each quarter of the year what my current and projected revenue is.
  2. It clarified for me what percentage of my work came from which clients. I now have actual numbers behind who my largest and most important clients are. I also know that I need to keep diversifying my client base so no one client holds too large a percentage of my revenue.
  3. I also know what kind of one time services I am selling: one time fee vs. reoccurring billing.

I missed my Q1 net revenue goal but hopefully (and if I work really hard) I can make up for it in Q2 and come out even. The problem is, I have only one project projected for Q3 and none for Q4 (at this time.) This tells me that I need to get moving on the sales angle and also sign up more "partners". 

From a more strategic angle there are several initiatives that I also can't loose sight of: speaking engagements, industry security program creation, and a book.

I have two more partners in the queue that are pending legal agreement review. This may look good but as Jeffrey Gitomer says, "Nothing happens until the sale is made."

Advertisements